Dear media user,
Welcome to the new v2com newswire. Whether you already have a media account from the previous version, or you are a new media user, we invite you to create a new account by clicking on "Create a media account" below.
For the first time this May 13-15, the UK’s leading design exhibition designjunction and Dwell on Design, America’s largest design event, will partner during NYCxDESIGN. This much anticipated collaboration promises to present the city’s most exciting display of cutting-edge design and captivating conversations.
The warehouse-style ArtBeam venue in Chelsea will host speakers including legendary illustrator Bob Gill; Caroline Baumann, director of the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum; artist Tom Sachs; architects Matthias Hollwich of HWKN and Dong-Ping Wong and Oana Stanescu of Family; Dorothy Cosonas, creative director of KnollTextiles; and design entrepreneurs Sandy Chilewich, Stephanie Goto, David Weeks, and Gregory Buntain of Fort Standard.
designjunction + Dwell on Design will also provide a community hub for design and architecture. WeWork, the archetypal co-working space, brings a pop-up workspace to the ArtBeam venue with free wifi. Furniture within the WeWork co-working area will be provided by Muuto, known for its bold, creative pieces that deliver a new perspective on Scandinavian design.
In addition, the café area at designjunction + Dwell on design will be furnished by Vitra and Artek, with a free espresso for every visitor served by coffee sponsor Illy.
British design brand Dyke & Dean fuses old school quality with a contemporary twist. The show will mark the international launch of the brand’s new Splatterware range of enamelware, as well showcasing new lighting ranges.
AARA is a British brand designing and manufacturing beautiful contemporary furniture and lighting, made in India. Inspired by traditional crafts, the company combines local raw materials and forward thinking manufacturing and engineering processes. In New York, the brand will show products from designers Alexander Mueller, Catherine Aitken, Daniel Schofield, Ester Comunello and Suliman Innab.
Melin Tregwynt has been weaving woolen cloth since 1912 on the Welsh coast. The brand will showcase blankets, throws, cushions, bedspreads and upholstery, including new collection Vintage Star, a bold double weave in pure wool based on a 1960s design from the company archive that is brought up to date with the use of contemporary colours.
Showing for the first time in the USA, Cuero Design combines Italian leather with Swedish steel to create beautiful interior design with a connection to nature. New products that will launch at the show are the Pampa Mariposa, a leather Butterfly Chair, and Iceland Mariposa, a sheepskin Butterfly Chair made of Icelandic lambskin, as well as the Abrazo chair and Sierra tables.
Iota will showcase its contemporary luxury home products based on traditional crochet technique, following the traditions of northern Europe. The range extends to home accessories, soft furnishings and occasional furniture.
Lighting design specialists Haberdashery will be showing Leaf, its beautiful sculptural lighting product system, made from delicate leaf-shaped bone china elements.
Will Sorrell, deputy director of designjunction, commented: “We’re delighted to return for our second year in New York, and to partner with Dwell on Design for the first time. Our multipurpose space will provide the best in design inspiration, debate and co-working space in the heart of Chelsea — a cutting edge destination for international design.”
designjunction + Dwell on Design includes a specially curated talks programme, developed by Dwell’s EVP, content and editor-in-chief, Amanda Dameron. The programme will feature a host of high-profile industry panelists including leading architects, designers, creative directors and curators, where CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be awarded to the architectural and design community. The programme’s theme is ‘Exploring the built environment in the modern world’.
Renowned illustrator, graphic designer, and author Bob Gill, who in a career spanning more than 60 years has influenced modern typography, design, and graphics, will headline the talks programme. He will be joined by others, including Caroline Baumann, director of the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum; Dorothy Cosonas, creative director at KnollTextiles; architects Matthias Hollwich of HWKN and Dong-Ping Wong and Oana Stanescu of Family; and 25 additional industry leaders.
Amanda Dameron of Dwell commented: "We are honored to welcome legendary design leader Bob Gill as our keynote speaker on Friday, May 13. Gill's distinguished career has spanned continents and disciplines, and his perspective on the business of design - as well as the nature of creativity - is invaluable. His influence cannot be overstated."
designjunction + Dwell on Design runs May 13 - 15, 2016 at ArtBeam, New York. For more information, please visit thedesignjunction.co.uk/new-york
designjunction + Dwell on Design
Friday May 13, 11am – 6pm
Saturday May 14, 11am – 6pm
Sunday May 15, 10am – 4pm
540 West 21st Street, New York
NY 10011, United States
All media inquiries should be directed to the designjunction team at Caro Communications
Lizzie Colville, Senior Account Manager
Lucy Price, Account Manager
Nicole Crentsil, Junior Account Executive
T: +44 (0)20 7713 9388
W: www.carocommunications.com @carocomms
Exhibiting and sponsorship information: Will Sorrell
T: +44 (0)7776 131 011
Dwell on Design
Dwell on Design for interview requests: Chela Piacentini
Photography and media collateral: Ally Otey
Exhibiting and sponsorship information: Rigo Retana
Notes to Editor
designjunction + Dwell on Design exhibitors confirmed to date:
- Bokara Rugs
- Cuero Design
- Dyke and Dean
- Melin Tregwynt
- Nicolas Burfron
designjunction + Dwell on Design speakers confirmed to date:
- Bob Gill, legendary illustrator and graphic designer
- Alexander Gorlin, founder of Alexander Gorlin Architects
- Andrew Carmellini, chef and restaurateur
- Bradford Shellhammer, head of curation and merchandising at eBay
- Caroline Baumann, director of the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Chad Phillips, creative director of Kwambio
- Constantin Boym, chair of industrial design at the Pratt Institute
- Dakin Hart, senior curator at the Noguchi Museum
- David Weeks, founder of David Weeks Studio
- Devin Vermeulen, creative director of physical product at WeWork
- Dong-Ping Wong and Oana Stanescu, architects and cofounders of Family
- Dorothy Cosonas, creative director at KnollTextiles
- Erick Guerra, professor of urban planning at PennDesign
- Gregory Buntain, designer and cofounder of Fort Standard
- Gregory Wessner, executive director of Open House New York
- Hamish Smyth and Jesse Reed, cofounders of Standards Manual and associate partners at Pentagram Jake Levine, founder and CEO of Electric Objects
- Jeff Miller, VP product design at Poppin
- Jesse Finkelstein, cofounder of Print All Over Me
- Johanna Osburn, executive director of DIFFA
- Julia Kaganskiy, director of NEW INC at the New Museum
- Kiel Mead, founding member and principal of American Design Club
- Margie Ruddick, landscape designer
- Maria Molland Selby, cofounder of Splacer
- Matthew Bremer, architect and founder of Architecture in Formation
- Matthias Hollwich, author, architect, and cofounder of HWKN
- Mesve Vardar, director of industrial design at Humanscale
- Mikael Ydholm, head of research at IKEA
- Nina Stritzler-Levine, director of the Bard Graduate Center Gallery
- Paulo Kos, VP design at West Elm Workspace and Hospitality
- Quintel Gwinn, founder of Quin Gwinn Interior Architecture and Design Studio
- Richard Olcott and Todd Schliemann, principals at Ennead
- Rosanne Somerson, president of the Rhode Island School of Design
- Sandy Chilewich, founder and creative director of Chilewich
- Sha Hwang, cofounder of Nava and designer of healthcare.gov
- Shelly Lynch-Sparks, head of commercial design at Homepolish
- Stephanie Goto, architectural designer
- Teddy Fong, cofounder of Capsule
- Tim deFiebre, furniture designer and former assistant to Ward Bennett
- Tom Sachs, artist
- Will Prince, founder of PARC Office
designjunction is a leading exhibition for contemporary interior design and culture, held annually in London and New York. The ﬂagship show takes place in London as part of the London Design Festival each September – where more than 200 contemporary brands present their new collections to an international audience of architects, interior designers, retailers and media. In 2015, the ﬁve day exhibition attracted more than 26,000 visitors through its doors.
About Dwell on Design
Next up: June 24-26, 2016 / Los Angeles Convention Center
With three full days of dynamic exhibitions, cutting-edge technologies, 40 onstage programs, 75+ speakers, and more than 2,000 innovative modern furnishings and products, Dwell on Design Los Angeles is America’s largest design event. In addition to bringing together over 350 brands, Dwell on Design encourages an ongoing design dialogue with unique on-stage presentations curated by the editors of Dwell. Learn more by visiting la.dwellondesign.com
The Dwell on Design trademark is used under license and with the permission of Dwell Life, Inc.