announced: Hong Kong restaurant, formerly a bank vault for Chinese heirlooms, scoops top design award
As INSIDE 2013 draws nearer, the awards panel, including Nigel Coates, Linda Morey Smith and Nicholas Stringer, have diligently whittled-down entries to a diverse shortlist of 59 projects across this year’s 12 diverse categories: Bars and Restaurants, Creative Re-use, Culture, Display, Education, Health, Hotels, Offices, Residential, Shopping Centres, Shops and Transport.
INSIDE’s awards are truly international; celebrating today’s inspired and most accomplished interiors from the last 12 months. Short-listed designers are competing from countries far and wide including Australia, Brazil, Japan and China to INSIDE’s host, Singapore, and other European destinations, including the UK.
A selection of the shortlisted entrants include Anglo-Japanese architects, Klein Dytham’s fun and inspiring Google Japan headquarters in Tokyo and Singapore-based architecture practiceWOHA’s incredible Park Royal on Pickering - a striking high-rise hotel and office building in Singapore, with contours that form planted valleys, gullies and waterfalls.
London-based design firms include architectsZaha Hadid, David Kohn and VW+BS. UK-located projects include the vibrant citizenMLondon Bankside by Dutch design firm concreteand VW+BS’s west London residential project,Uxbridge Street.
Says Paul Finch, Programme Director of World Architectural Festival:
“Interior architecture and design are related but separate disciplines to mainstream architecture, and the INSIDE award and talks programme show why. From digital design to creating delight, the Festival will open up fresh ideas and demonstrate the influence of interiors on how we work, rest and play.”
The shortlisted entries will now pitch against each other in live presentations over a period of three days to a stellar line up of international judges, including: Odile Decq, ODBC; Nigel Coates, Nigel Coates Studio; Lyndon Neri, Neri & Hu;Eero Koivisto, Claesson Koivisto Rune; Pernilla Ohrstedt, Pernilla Ohrstedt Studio; Linda Morey Smith, MoreySmith; Nicholas Stringer, Shed Design; Shawn Sullivan, Rockwell Group andRob Wagemans, concrete. It is one of the most significant opportunities for designers to promote their work globally in the 2013 calendar.
WORLD INTERIOR OF THE YEAR AWARD 2013: Friday, 4 October 2013
On the final day of the festival, the 12 category winners will be put forward for the esteemed World Interior of the Year Award 2013. Chaired by internationally renowned designer and RCA Professor Emeritus, Nigel Coates, this award is considered the grand prix of interior awards. One category winner will win this distinguished award that will be announced at an evening awards ceremony on Friday, 4 October. Neri&Hu Design and Research Office picked up the 2011 award with The Waterhouse, a boutique hotel located by the Cool Docks development on the South Bund District of Shanghai. Judges confirmed for World Interior of the Year Award 2013 (to date) are: Odile Decq, ODBC; Lyndon Neri, Neri & Hu and Rob Wagemans, Concrete.
All of INSIDE’s category winners will be invited to be a member of INSIDE’s international jury in 2014 as well as featuring in filmed interviews hosted by Dezeen, INSIDE’s digital partner, positioning successful practices at the epicentre of global excellence on the international design scene.
INSIDE is set to become one of the most important fixtures on the international design calendar – with new and established designers, clients and leading industry figures rubbing shoulders over three exciting days.
Note to editors: More about INSIDE
INSIDE is the sister event to WAF (World Architecture Festival), the world’s largest festival and live awards competition dedicated to celebrating, and sharing architectural excellence from across the globe.
INSIDE is a festival and global awards programme unlike any other. Only at INSIDE are you able to hear over 40 of the world’s leading voices in interior design present their most recent work live in front of a seriously illustrious line up of judges.
INSIDE promises to be a striking showspace in itself, with an illuminating and inspirational seminar programme, unique design features and installations, exclusive tours providing the inside track on Singapore's thriving design scene and some great parties!
Bars and Restaurants
- Ammo Bar + Restaurant, Hong Kong by WANG
- Kaiseki Yoshiyuki + Horse's Mouth, Singapore, Republic of, by Asylum Creative Pte Ltd
- Fat Noodle, Australia, by Luchetti Krelle
- Jones the Grocer Sydney, Australia, by Landini Associates
- White Café, Thailand, by Duangrit Bunnag Architect Limited
- 11-11 CLUB, Turkey, by URAS X DILEKCI ARCHITECTS
- Zafferano, Singapore, Republic of, by designphase dba
- Nova Scotia Power Corporate Headquarters, Canada, by WZMH Architects
- Gowings and State Theatre Buildings restoration and hotel conversion, Sydney, Australia, by Woodhead
- Dardanel Administration Building, Turkey, by Alatas Architecture & Consulting
- IBC Innovation Factory, Denmark, by schmidt hammer lassen architects
- Good Shepherd Chapel, Australia, by Robert Simeoni Pty Ltd Architects
- Heydar Aliyev Centre, Azerbaijan, by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Wujin Grand Theatre, Phoenix Valley, China, studio505 Pty Ltd
- Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki, New Zealand, by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp, fjmt + Archimedia (Architects in Association)
- Louisiana State Museum and Sports Hall of Fame, United States of America, by Trahan Architects
- Hublot Pop-Up Store, Singapore, Republic of, by Asylum Creative Pte Ltd
- Black and White Gallery, Singapore, Republic of, by CarverHaggard
- Hakko Kyoto, Japan, by Osamu Morishita Architect & Associates
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center, United States of America, by Olson Kundig Architects
- Baldivis Secondary College, Australia, by JCY Architects and Urban Designers
- Victoria University, Learning Spaces of the Future, Australia, by BVN Donovan Hill
- DPS Kindergarten School, India, by Khosla Associates
- Fontys Sports College, Netherlands, by Mecanoo International b.v., Mecanoo architecten
- Knowledge Centre, St. Olavs Hospital, Norway, by Nordic Office of Architecture
- The Kinghorn Cancer Centre, Australia, by BVN Donovan Hill
- Clienia - Lino Castle, Switzerland, by dan pearlman Markenarchitektur GmbH
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, United States of America, by Perkins+Will
- The Beautique Hotels Figueira, Portugal, by Atelier Nini Andrade Silva
- Macalister Mansion, Malaysia, by Ministry of Design Pte Ltd
- 54.2 Tacofino Commissary, Canada, by Omer Arbel Office
- Hotel Pupp, Italy, by bergmeisterwolf architekten, bergmeisterwolf architekten + Christian Schwienbacher
- PARKROYAL on Pickering, Singapore, Republic of, by WOHA
- citizenM london bankside, United Kingdom, by concrete
- Clemenger BBDO, Australia, by HASSELL
- MOZILLA FACTORY, Japan, by NOSIGNER
- Allen & Overy, Australia, by BVN Donovan Hill
- TOP TIME OFFICE, China, by Cimax Design Engineering (Hong Kong) Limited.
- Citi Private Bank New York, United States of America, by Eight Inc.
- Google Japan, Japan, by Klein Dytham Architects
- Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC),Shukugawa Branch, Japan, by NIKKEN SPACE DESIGN LTD, NIKKEN SEKKEI LTD
- Allens Linklatersm, Australia, by BVN Donovan Hill
- Cube House, Brazil, by StudioMK27
- Carrer Avinyó, Spain, David Kohn Architects
- THE PINWHEEL HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of, K2LD Architects Pte Ltd
- The Green House, Singapore, Republic of, K2LD Architects Pte Ltd
- Uxbridge Street, United Kingdom, by VW+BS
- Emporia, Sweden, by Wingårdh Arkitektkontor AB
- Hysan Place, Hong Kong, by Kohn Pederson Fox Associates
- Sahid Kuta Lifestyle Resort – Beachwalk, Indonesia, PT Enviro Tec
- Crumpler Prahran, Australia, by Russell & George
- Gaurav Gupta Couture, India, by Lotus Design Services
- Tashya, India, by charged voids
- Oscar & Wild, Australia, by matt gibson architecture + design
- Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore, Singapore, Republic of, by RSP Architects Planners & Engineers (Pte) Ltd
- Barrakka Lift, Malta, by Architecture Project
- Sydney Cruise Terminal, Australia, by Johnson Pilton Walker Architects, Johnson Pilton Walker
- NSCBI AIRPORT KOLKATA, India, by SIKKA ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTS, RMJM